CO-OPETITION TO PROMOTE GROWTH OF BATIK SMALL AND MEDIUM ENTERPRISES
Co-opetition is cooperation and also the competition between businesses in the same industry or in other words between competitors. The phenomenon of co-opetition, which is also called ‘sleeping with the enemy’, is becoming increasingly important with the wider of global competition. The purpose of research presented in this paper is to analyze the co-opetition strategy among small and medium industries. This research was conducted in the form of case studies of small and medium batik industries in the region of Central Java, Indonesia. The right co-opetition strategy would promote growth and strengthen the sustainability of Central Java batik SMEs to face global competition.The research approach applied is action research. The location of this research is in six districts in Central Java, namely Banyumas, Cilacap, Purbalingga, Banjarnegara, Kebumen and Wonosobo. In those six districts, there are batik SMEs that have the potential to grow rapidly. The results of this study indicate that batik SMEs in the region of Central Java agreed to collaborate in the form of the Central Java Batik Society 'DjamurDwipa'. The batik SME entrepreneurs in Central Java realize that they are partners in the Society and they are also competitors engaged in the same industry. For small and medium scale entrepreneurs, their collaboration is expected to increase their capability, create and capture value, get the benefit of networking. The Central Java Batik Society 'DjamurDwipa' in this study becomes one of the case models of co-opetition among small and medium industries. Review of the co-opetition among small and medium industries in this study indicate that the competitors do not always have a negative impact. Collaboration with competitors, namely co-opetition, could be able to create a synergy that can encourage the growth of small and medium industries.
Keywords: Co-opetition; Colaboration; Competitor; Batik; Small Medium Enterprises.
Copyright Transfer Statement for Journal
1) In signing this statement, the author(s) grant UNIMAS Publisher an exclusive license to publish their original research papers. The author(s) also grant UNIMAS Publisher permission to reproduce, recreate, translate, extract or summarize, and to distribute and display in any forms, formats, and media. The author(s) can reuse their papers in their future printed work without first requiring permission from UNIMAS Publisher, provided that the author(s) acknowledge and reference publication in the Journal.
2) For open access articles, the author(s) agree that their articles published under UNIMAS Publisher are distributed under the terms of the CC-BY-NC-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial-Share Alike 4.0 International License) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, for non-commercial purposes, provided the original work of the author(s) is properly cited.
3) For subscription articles, the author(s) agree that UNIMAS Publisher holds copyright, or an exclusive license to publish. Readers or users may view, download, print, and copy the content, for academic purposes, subject to the following conditions of use: (a) any reuse of materials is subject to permission from UNIMAS Publisher; (b) archived materials may only be used for academic research; (c) archived materials may not be used for commercial purposes, which include but not limited to monetary compensation by means of sale, resale, license, transfer of copyright, loan, etc.; and (d) archived materials may not be re-published in any part, either in print or online.
4) The author(s) is/are responsible to ensure his or her or their submitted work is original and does not infringe any existing copyright, trademark, patent, statutory right, or propriety right of others. Corresponding author(s) has (have) obtained permission from all co-authors prior to submission to the journal. Upon submission of the manuscript, the author(s) agree that no similar work has been or will be submitted or published elsewhere in any language. If submitted manuscript includes materials from others, the authors have obtained the permission from the copyright owners.
5) In signing this statement, the author(s) declare(s) that the researches in which they have conducted are in compliance with the current laws of the respective country and UNIMAS Journal Publication Ethics Policy. Any experimentation or research involving human or the use of animal samples must obtain approval from Human or Animal Ethics Committee in their respective institutions. The author(s) agree and understand that UNIMAS Publisher is not responsible for any compensational claims or failure caused by the author(s) in fulfilling the above-mentioned requirements. The author(s) must accept the responsibility for releasing their materials upon request by Chief Editor or UNIMAS Publisher.
6) The author(s) should have participated sufficiently in the work and ensured the appropriateness of the content of the article. The author(s) should also agree that he or she has no commercial attachments (e.g. patent or license arrangement, equity interest, consultancies, etc.) that might pose any conflict of interest with the submitted manuscript. The author(s) also agree to make any relevant materials and data available upon request by the editor or UNIMAS Publisher.